2010 A West

Re: 2010 A West

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:32 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:00 pm
Guest wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:38 pm
Guest wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:19 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:10 pm Questions?

With the VRE moving to the East...

Question 1. Do you think the West will be more competitive (skills were equally divided among the teams)? Or Do you think the West will be watered down (skills-wise) and there will be 1 or 2 team(s) that will dominate?

Question 2. Do you think there should be hitting at the A level in this age group, like the AA level?

Your thoughts?
Hearing that two of the bottom AA teams are dropping down to A in the West, that should make for some good competition. They may dominate a bit but should push the division as a whole and some of the returning teams should be competitive.

OMHA does have it for A but I know a number of organizations just outside the GTA had issues in possibly losing players to the G because there is no contact. Parents want somewhere for their kids to play competitively without the risk of injury. I do think they could be more lax in allowing board battles without condoning runs at players or open ice hits.
Two AA teams moving to A for this coming season? Highly unlikely.

Outside the city for players that don't want contact what happens is the BB teams get stronger with those players as they don't have contact. It makes tournaments more difficult for GTHL teams, not a ton of non-checking divisions at tourneys in Ontario.
Fake news

So... Here is my perspective.

"A" Rep hockey is nothing more than glorified Select hockey for this age group. Parents are paying $4000 to $5000 in total team registration and maybe an extra $2000 for summer team training - i.e. Team practice skates, individual team (defense & forward) clinics and summer tournaments just to play 4 mins more during the regular season vs. Select. It's ridiculous! Sorry, I forgot to mention "A" Rep is a tad more skilled than Select.

Also, if your child gets called up to play "AA" which there is hitting - What then? Your child is not prepared for hitting - they're going to get hurt!
Another Point - Let's just say your child tries out for "AA" the next season, your child is already at a disadvantage since s/he is a year behind on their development. More money to spend.

If the GTHL really wants to call "A" Rep hockey then there should be hitting in this age. If you do not want your son or daughter not getting hit then Play Select. Plus the cost to play hockey in Select is much lower. I'm still wrapping my head around paying in total between $6000 to $7000 to play "A" hockey. I'm not complaining or bitching because my son didn't make an "AA" team, I'm just strictly looking at the cost for my son to play non-contact hockey. I still play hockey in a non-contact league for $600 and the majority of the cost is beers & wings.

This is my perspective, not saying I'm 100% right, but I do hope you all can understand my points.

Thank you!
Based on what you are saying AA is the one that makes no sense. Why are those families paying more and risking injury? Those players aren't going anywhere.
Me again

Post by Me again »

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:50 pm
Guest wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:32 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:00 pm
Guest wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:38 pm
Guest wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:19 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:10 pm Questions?

With the VRE moving to the East...

Question 1. Do you think the West will be more competitive (skills were equally divided among the teams)? Or Do you think the West will be watered down (skills-wise) and there will be 1 or 2 team(s) that will dominate?

Question 2. Do you think there should be hitting at the A level in this age group, like the AA level?

Your thoughts?
Hearing that two of the bottom AA teams are dropping down to A in the West, that should make for some good competition. They may dominate a bit but should push the division as a whole and some of the returning teams should be competitive.

OMHA does have it for A but I know a number of organizations just outside the GTA had issues in possibly losing players to the G because there is no contact. Parents want somewhere for their kids to play competitively without the risk of injury. I do think they could be more lax in allowing board battles without condoning runs at players or open ice hits.
Two AA teams moving to A for this coming season? Highly unlikely.

Outside the city for players that don't want contact what happens is the BB teams get stronger with those players as they don't have contact. It makes tournaments more difficult for GTHL teams, not a ton of non-checking divisions at tourneys in Ontario.
Fake news

So... Here is my perspective.

"A" Rep hockey is nothing more than glorified Select hockey for this age group. Parents are paying $4000 to $5000 in total team registration and maybe an extra $2000 for summer team training - i.e. Team practice skates, individual team (defense & forward) clinics and summer tournaments just to play 4 mins more during the regular season vs. Select. It's ridiculous! Sorry, I forgot to mention "A" Rep is a tad more skilled than Select.

Also, if your child gets called up to play "AA" which there is hitting - What then? Your child is not prepared for hitting - they're going to get hurt!
Another Point - Let's just say your child tries out for "AA" the next season, your child is already at a disadvantage since s/he is a year behind on their development. More money to spend.

If the GTHL really wants to call "A" Rep hockey then there should be hitting in this age. If you do not want your son or daughter not getting hit then Play Select. Plus the cost to play hockey in Select is much lower. I'm still wrapping my head around paying in total between $6000 to $7000 to play "A" hockey. I'm not complaining or bitching because my son didn't make an "AA" team, I'm just strictly looking at the cost for my son to play non-contact hockey. I still play hockey in a non-contact league for $600 and the majority of the cost is beers & wings.

This is my perspective, not saying I'm 100% right, but I do hope you all can understand my points.

Thank you!
Based on what you are saying AA is the one that makes no sense. Why are those families paying more and risking injury? Those players aren't going anywhere.

Not really...

I'm basing my argument on "Rep" vs "Select" in this age group. More specifically "A" non-contact hockey vs "Select" non-contact hockey. In my humble opinion, the main difference is cost. Therefore, why call "A" hockey "Rep", when it's a glorified "Select" level of minor hockey. So, how do you differentiate "Rep" from "Select" - by introducing hitting in this age group. Now we can say "A" hockey has a higher development program and is more skilled than "Select" hockey, which makes "A" in line with "AA" and "AAA" Rep hockey.

Hitting started at a much younger age when I played hockey vs today. This is where I'm drawing my opinion, experience and my empty pockets from. Also, it kind of justifies the cost of playing in "A" with all the registration/training you are paying.

Also, I do believe there is a need for kids (if they choose to) to play in a non-contact league with the above skills than Houseleague and to me is Select. There is no shame if you and your child want to play in a league where there is no contact. Plus, you get to save some money as well. Once again, there is no shame in that!

Finally, there is no delusion about my son's hockey. Education is number #1. Hockey is something he loves, enjoys, and I have no problem paying for it.

I hope this clarifies to some degree what I was trying to say in my original post. Also, I definitely welcome everyone's feedback and/or opinions about my post.

Thanks!

Post by Guest »

Anyone in this weekends’ CCT tournament?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:58 pm Anyone in this weekends’ CCT tournament?
Yeah Panthers. I they their team is Kat Brothers or something. How did they do?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:54 pm
Not well. Lost all their games, none were close.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:49 pm
Yikes, that can’t be too encouraging for them. The upcoming. season is going to be much more difficult.

Should the team fold before the shit show?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:31 pm
Yikes, that can’t be too encouraging for them. The upcoming. season is going to be much more difficult.

Its going to be a long year boys. Long year :cry:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:56 pm

Too late to find another team? Plenty of spots on better teams out there. Why settle?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:32 am

Too late to find another team? Plenty of spots on better teams out there. Why settle?
Because once you are registered you aren't getting released. Is this your first rodeo?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:52 am
Guest wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:32 am

Because once you are registered you aren't getting released. Is this your first rodeo?
I doubt any of them chose the team over other options, probably Panthers or down to Select.