Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 am
Guest wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:55 pm
Guest wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:58 am
Guest wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:36 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:28 pm
Guest wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:20 am

That’s dd white
They play on two teams and skate 6-9 hours a week…… and still loose to the cobras
9 hours of skating a week for a 7 year old???? Sounds a bit too much. Recipe for burn out and injury.
I don't think any one team is doing 9hrs of skating per week.

Even a packed schedule might look like:

1hr of specialized skating (with or without being part of your official team stuff)
2x of 1.5hrs of team practice (3hrs over two or three practices)
1hr of game play?

So 5hrs total, and the kid isn't skating for a full 1hr for a game. Maybe if he gets extra shifts, plus warm up time, maybe 20 min of skating?

That's what MOST teams and MOST kids are doing.

However, yes, there are some kids who are doing a couple skating sessions a week lets say three - just to be crazy. Now you are at 6.5hrs

The only kids who are doing more than 6.5hrs of skating per week are stupid parents who are trying to ensure their kid quits hockey at the age of 12. Or kids playing on two teams. Even then, there aren't enough hours in a week (assuming your kid is still going to school)

Monday: Morning power skate, Team1 practice = 2hrs
Tuesday: Team2 practice = 1.5hrs
Wednesday: Morning power skate, team1 practice = 2hrs
Thursday: Team2 practice = 1.5hrs
Friday: Game = 30min
Saturday: Morning power skate, team1 practice = 2hrs
Sunday: Game = 30min

That about the most insane schedule I could come up with and its still only 10hrs, if your kid is doing 9hrs - child services should be called on you.
My kid plays for only one team, and hes on the ice 7+ hrs a week.

4hrs of team practice. Monday, Wednesday, Saturday
3hrs of our own stuff. Shooting coach, skating coach.
Plus games.
That's awesome! IF he's loving it. As soon as it becomes too much, he will end up hating the game
I wouldn't say he loves it. He tolerates it. He like playing games, and he likes scoring goals.

He understands that the hard work allows him to do those things - so he tolerates it.

Re: 2016 Elite AAA

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:40 pm
Guest wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:35 pm

They play on two teams and skate 6-9 hours a week…… and still loose to the cobras
9 hours of skating a week for a 7 year old???? Sounds a bit too much. Recipe for burn out and injury.

1hr of specialized skating (with or without being part of your official team stuff)
1hr of game play?

So 5hrs total, and the kid isn't skating for a full 1hr for a game. Maybe if he gets extra shifts, plus warm up time, maybe 20 min of skating?

However, yes, there are some kids who are doing a couple skating sessions a week lets say three - just to be crazy. Now you are at 6.5hrs

The only kids who are doing more than 6.5hrs of skating per week are stupid parents who are trying to ensure their kid quits hockey at the age of 12. Or kids playing on two teams. Even then, there aren't enough hours in a week (assuming your kid is still going to school)

That about the most insane schedule I could come up with and its still only 10hrs, if your kid is doing 9hrs - child services should be called on you.

Plus games.
Hope he's the best player on the ice, otherwise what a waste of his childhood.
I agree, but you aren't going to convince a single person. Anyone whos kid is pretty good, is going to fall into the rat race of staying as one of the best kids. Which means they are going to maximize training to keep up with the arms race of every other wealthy parent.
This!!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:33 am
Guest wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 am

1hr of game play?

Plus games.
That's awesome! IF he's loving it. As soon as it becomes too much, he will end up hating the game
I wouldn't say he loves it. He tolerates it. He like playing games, and he likes scoring goals.

He understands that the hard work allows him to do those things - so he tolerates it.
There in lies a problem
When all the rest of the kids his age catch up in a couple years, he very well could crash and burn with all the pressure put on him at this age

Post by Guest »

Assuming most parents are aiming to have their kids play AAA after next season where are you playing next season (KSL, OMHA MD, NYHL, etc...)?

Post by Guest »

Assuming most parents are aiming to have their kids play AAA after next season where are you playing next season (KSL, OMHA MD, NYHL, etc...)?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:12 pm Assuming most parents are aiming to have their kids play AAA after next season where are you playing next season (KSL, OMHA MD, NYHL, etc...)?
None of the above

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:12 pm Assuming most parents are aiming to have their kids play AAA after next season where are you playing next season (KSL, OMHA MD, NYHL, etc...)?
Alliance

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 am
Alliance
Second this
We have 2 playing and a 3rd trying out

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:27 am
Guest wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 am
Alliance
Second this
We have 2 playing and a 3rd trying out
What is alliance?