2015 AAA

Re: 2015 AAA

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am Where is Marlie’s core from? Sorry new to the chat
DMF, don’t they have underage coming back so a full year at AAA? Shouldn’t that count for more
Titans core, Aces black
If I read right, did NYHL just fold without folding…
Marlies core is pretty much all imports (if they get released or move) nothing to really see there unless ML can coach a bunch of induvial kids as a team. Typically ego driven will bust by Christmas once parents realize is the RL show and only RL show

NYHL sucks KSL way to go

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:23 am
Guest wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 am Brick 2015 August camp. Worth doing or cash grab?
Won’t be doing it. If they want my kid they can come get him
Huge money grab

They already know who they want

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:01 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 am Brick 2015 August camp. Worth doing or cash grab?
Huge money grab

Depends what you expect out of it. They asked me and we said yes in that the worst thing is that the kid plays with some great players for a week and gets some good coaching (and apparently camps are tax deductible) so the minimum take away is that. If he makes the team that would be very cool but whatever...we have a whole year of hockey between the camp and the tournament.

Post by Guest »

TRYOUTS START TOMORROW ERMAGHERD

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 am TRYOUTS START TOMORROW ERMAGHERD
New world record -- 545 pages of nonsense before the first day of tryouts.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am
Huge money grab

Depends what you expect out of it. They asked me and we said yes in that the worst thing is that the kid plays with some great players for a week and gets some good coaching (and apparently camps are tax deductible) so the minimum take away is that. If he makes the team that would be very cool but whatever...we have a whole year of hockey between the camp and the tournament.
Tax deductible?

Post by Guest »

Probably shoulda posted this 545 pages ago:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/minor- ... -1.4637035

When a tryout is not a tryout: Survival tips for hockey parents
4 pieces of advice for navigating a strange, stressful rite of passage

The weather is getting warmer, but don't put away your hockey bags just yet. In arenas across Canada it's tryout season — the annual, gut-wrenching, anxiety-inducing rite of passage for young hockey players and their parents.

I'm relatively new to this world. My son is a nine-year-old goalie vying for a roster spot in the highly competitive Greater Toronto Hockey League, where the game can seem like a full-time job and teams are often formed over hushed conversations and secret skates that take place months before formal tryouts begin.

As I've learned, it takes patience, diligence and a dash of aggressiveness to navigate tryout season. Here are a few pieces of advice to help you get through it.

Tryouts aren't always tryouts
If you're heading into tryout season thinking all you son or daughter needs to do to make the team is prove themselves on the ice, you may be disappointed. In Toronto, the tryout process actually begins months before. Parent phone coaches. Coaches reach out to potential players. Informal or so-called "birthday skates" are held (as in "Of course we're not holding an unsanctioned team practice. It's one of the kids' birthday," wink, wink). By the time tryouts roll around, the team is basically formed. For parents new to all of this, it can be dizzying and confusing.

"There is the actual system, and then the real system where most teams are trying to put together their teams ahead of the tryouts," says Aaron Rosenthal, a Toronto hockey dad with two sons who play. "That's the nature of the way the GTHL and the NYHL [Toronto's two biggest leagues] have functioned over the years. Teams are unfortunately made in advance. And never truly opened up."

'Cross-ice' proponents say change is aimed at keeping kids in hockey
Tom Bly, the Chair of the Ontario Minor Hockey Association's Coaches Program, does not approve of pre-formed teams. He believes a lot of coaches often don't want to go through the awkward process of cutting a player, but competitive tryouts can foster improvement and growth.

"If your best player knows that they won't be pushed to improve," he asks, "What kind of culture is that?

"I instruct coaches all of the time that if, in their heart of hearts, they know they are not going to offer that child an opportunity to play, put your big-boy pants on and tell the player and the family before the tryouts."

Things change — fast
In the world of minor hockey, the ground is constantly shifting. Just when you think things are settled, they change. Take my son's team for the upcoming season. Or what I thought was his team for the upcoming season.

Heading into tryouts, everything appeared to be in order. My son had been told he had a spot on the team and it looked like only a few roster spots still needed to be filled — those rare spots that would actually be decided in tryouts.

But attendance at the first tryout was curiously low, prompting a flurry of emails and rumours that the team was folding and the coach was leaving. I thought the situation would work itself out, but the second tryout saw only six skaters show up. It was clear this team was in trouble.

How could something that seemed viable crumble so quickly? That leads to my third point.

Parents can be irrational
When I talked to the coach afterwards, he was beside himself. He was a non-parent coach, eager to impart his knowledge and love of the game. Why, then, were parents bailing on him left and right for other teams and opportunities?

It's hard to say, but I've learned in the world of minor hockey that many parents are constantly hustling for a better opportunity or situation for their kid. They may commit to one team while feverishly searching for something better.

Bly has a theory on why parents do this.

"It's a step-over society and people don't care how many people they need to move out of the way to get to what they perceive is their right spot at the table," he offers. "They don't care who they destroy as long as they have a better seat."

You have to play the game
Some parents may think they can exist above the fray, away from all the madness, that they're better than this. Maybe that's true, but taking the high road may only hurt your child in the end.

The most noble of parents, the ones who think they are doing the right thing, can end up seeing their kid without a chair when the music stops. It may sound harsh, but the way things are, you need to actively advocate and sell your child. You need to do your best to stay ahead of the ever-shifting politics and always-changing alliances.

Sure, it all sounds unseemly. But that's the hockey environment we've created, and it will probably stay this way until somebody has

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 am
Huge money grab

Tax deductible?
http://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-chil ... ion%20year.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:35 am
Huge money grab

Tax deductible?
Need to have less that $150k in household income. If you don't have over $150k per year in your house - you probably can't afford hockey to begin with.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 am
Guest wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:35 am

Huge money grab

Tax deductible?
Need to have less that $150k in household income. If you don't have over $150k per year in your house - you probably can't afford hockey to begin with.
OFF the Exact link that was sent, looks like BS to me.

Eligible expenses include:

caregivers providing child care services
day nursery schools and child care centres
boarding schools, overnight sports schools or camps where lodging is involved
educational institutions (for the part of fees that relate to child care only)
day camps and sports schools where the primary goal of the camp is to care for children

Ineligible expenses include:

medical or hospital care, clothing or transportation costs
fees related to education costs at an educational institution (such as tuition)
fees for leisure or recreational activities (such as tennis lessons)
child care services provided by the eligible child's parent or a person under 18 years of age who is connected by a blood relationship (such as a sibling)