Should the OMHA get rid of the LOR boundry?

All Team and Association topics here

Re: Should the OMHA get rid of the LOR boundry?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:25 pm
I disagree and think they should all be removed. The Rules in place are horrible and only hurt kids development.

I am currently stuck in an an association that has volunteer parent coach's with limited knowledge of the game.

My Son is a mid level AAA player who got cut at the last tryout leaving him no where else to go play AAA since all the other tryouts are done. Due to the current rules he could not even tryout for a 2nd or 3rd team as a backup.

He is wanted by 3 of the top AA teams in Ontario

Now the current AA team for our association is really an A team at best and even thought the association recognizes this and is willing to give me a release because we are outside of the LOR boundaries he can not go play in the GTHL at the AA level.

With all this said I live 8 mins north of a LOR association and 5 mins west of a GTHL association.
Not following you. A mid level AAA player was cut?
Is your AAA zone in the for the age group in OMHA?
Is you kid the best by far on your AA team?
How often is your kid called up?

Has the next AAA center reached out advising you should have asked for a permission to skate prior to tryouts?

If you lived in a more rural OMHA center this would not even be a discussion.

Just for the record, removing LOR would actually put more kids your situation.

There is big difference on movement within OMHA and movement into GTHL. If anyone could move to GTHL, any players around the GTA would all move into the G.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:50 am
Guest wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:15 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:13 pm One governing body in Ontario, all these member partners need to go.
Open boundaries for all. Bad associations and poor coaching gone in no time, hold people accountable.
Agreed!
Disagree. Will end up with several super teams and then all the other just filling teams with unskilled players.
Option 1: Open boundaries for AAA level play. But limit the total number of AAA teams allowed to enter.
Option 2: Keep boundaries, but make the areas much larger; thus reducing the total number of AAA programs.

AA hockey and down, lock the boundaries down, again maybe at AA make them larger to lower number of teams, but don't allow releases. If you can't make AA in your home center, go play on their A team, not transfer to be on a lesser team elsewhere.

I disagree and think they should all be removed. The Rules in place are horrible and only hurt kids development.

I am currently stuck in an an association that has volunteer parent coach's with limited knowledge of the game.

My Son is a mid level AAA player who got cut at the last tryout leaving him no where else to go play AAA since all the other tryouts are done. Due to the current rules he could not even tryout for a 2nd or 3rd team as a backup.

Now the current AA team for our association is really an A team at best and even thought the association recognizes this and is willing to give me a release because we are outside of the LOR boundaries he can not go play in the GTHL at the AA level.

With all this said I live 8 mins north of a LOR association and 5 mins west of a GTHL association.
Whitchurch-Stouffville?

While you couldn't go to the official tryouts until you are released there are development skates and other ways to be seen by coaches in advance of securing a release. Were you going to skates?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 pm

Has the next AAA center reached out advising you should have asked for a permission to skate prior to tryouts?

There is big difference on movement within OMHA and movement into GTHL. If anyone could move to GTHL, any players around the GTA would all move into the G.

I am not a fan of the movement rules in the first place but the issue I have is that the current rules allow GTHL players to play anywhere they want and OMHA players from Oakville and Brampton to do the same once released but everyone else is stuck

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:57 pm
Guest wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:50 am
Guest wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:15 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:13 pm One governing body in Ontario, all these member partners need to go.
Open boundaries for all. Bad associations and poor coaching gone in no time, hold people accountable.
Agreed!
Disagree. Will end up with several super teams and then all the other just filling teams with unskilled players.
Option 1: Open boundaries for AAA level play. But limit the total number of AAA teams allowed to enter.
Option 2: Keep boundaries, but make the areas much larger; thus reducing the total number of AAA programs.

AA hockey and down, lock the boundaries down, again maybe at AA make them larger to lower number of teams, but don't allow releases. If you can't make AA in your home center, go play on their A team, not transfer to be on a lesser team elsewhere.

Whitchurch-Stouffville?

While you couldn't go to the official tryouts until you are released there are development skates and other ways to be seen by coaches in advance of securing a release. Were you going to skates?
Yes I had him skating with the teams I identified I wanted to play with.

unfortunately I did not understand the rules at the time and was under the impressions that I could be an import in the GTHL AA as I can for AAA but not for A or AA. Had I know that I would have focused only on the AAA teams.

I was more focused on who the coach was then weather is was AA or AAA as my goal is development. He skated with the 4 of the top 10 AA team in Ontario and all coaches want him the their team. He had interest from other AAA teams however I can't do 80-90 minutes drives each way 4 times a week and did not want to spend $12K to go 0-34 with the GTHL.

I am not that crazy parent that will jump through all the loopholes to do an address change to play in the G I just want development that we won't get from a 50+ rank team with a parent coach.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 pm

My kid has played AAA since U10 there was no call ups

Yes He could have made the next AAA in the zone however all 10 GTHL home rinks are closer to me then they are.

They have import rules so not everyone could move to the GTHL only the top players.

My home AAA centre selected only 6 kids that live within the boundaries of the team

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:54 am

Yes He could have made the next AAA in the zone however all 10 GTHL home rinks are closer to me then they are.

They have import rules so not everyone could move to the GTHL only the top players.

My home AAA centre selected only 6 kids that live within the boundaries of the team
GTHL rinks are closer, and many times the home rinks of the other G AAA teams are also closer to many OMHA players.

G would change the rules on # of imports if OMHA players could freely move in! In fact you would potentially see new teams created in the G to support the influx or players.

NRP players in the OMHA is a real problem. Removing LOR I don't think fixes that problem. The fix for that is to cap imports to any AAA and define an import as any player that is not part of the catchment area for that AAA team.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:59 am
Guest wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:54 am

GTHL rinks are closer, and many times the home rinks of the other G AAA teams are also closer to many OMHA players.

G would change the rules on # of imports if OMHA players could freely move in! In fact you would potentially see new teams created in the G to support the influx or players.

NRP players in the OMHA is a real problem. Removing LOR I don't think fixes that problem. The fix for that is to cap imports to any AAA and define an import as any player that is not part of the catchment area for that AAA team.
I agree and/or maybe add more regions to the LOR

You could just get rid of the OMHA and GTHL and just have 1 league with divisions based on the location

Post by Guest »

LOR has limited movement under U14
U14 and above there is free movement
That should be the same outside of the LOR at U14
The talk of super teams rarely comes together.
Allow movement and will force Org's to run good programs or they will lose players.
Allow no movement and is like being told you can only shop at this 1 store in your home center.
Hockey enrollment is dropping.....they need to explore all options.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:04 am LOR has limited movement under U14
U14 and above there is free movement
That should be the same outside of the LOR at U14
The talk of super teams rarely comes together.
Allow movement and will force Org's to run good programs or they will lose players.
Allow no movement and is like being told you can only shop at this 1 store in your home center.
Hockey enrollment is dropping.....they need to explore all options.
100% they should be looking at the greater GTA as 1 league and limit each center to 1 team at each level AAA, AA and A not AA blue, AA white etc

This way for the most part players are playing at their skill level not stuck due to their geographic locations.

There should be a standard of coaching and paid not volunteer parent coaches.

Post by Guest »

How hard/ easy is to transfer into the G with an address change like the poster said above?
I don’t know what is required for various transfer requests from within LOR or outside of it but if an address change or some other easy falsity is all that is needed then what’s the point of holding some kids accountable for the rules and let others (maybe more motivated or driven) have freedom
Long winded way to really just ask generally about enforcement of the rules.