OMHA vs GTHL

Re: OMHA vs GTHL

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:46 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:00 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:54 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:18 pm Coaches in the GTHL are there for themselves, not the the players. No development, just $$. That’s all they care about. Find a coach that has an actual job and coaches hockey because they love the game.
Are you saying the paid coaches don't love the game? You are nuts. They are literally covering costs so they can give back to hockey in the form of time, development and experiences for young kids. You are simply wrong with the above comment.
LOL covering costs, these career coaches dont care a lick about your little ankle burner. OMHA coaches aren't any different than GTHL coaches but I will say it is a little better. Forced to pick players from their area therefore forced to coach the game and develop the players they have. You team chasers is what messes things up for the development of your own child and the teams they are on.
Agreed. GTHL does not have better development. The problem is that talent moves from OMHA into the G due to historical trends. If this cycle is broken will change the perception that the G is better for development. The thing is that the cycle will probably not break.
Not sure anyone thinks the G is better for development. At U14+ there is more scouting, better talent up and down the line so better competition. I agree that if the OMHA can retain its top players then you will see more results like this year where OMHA wins the OHL Cup and has a large number of early round picks in the OHL.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:36 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:33 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:18 pm Coaches in the GTHL are there for themselves, not the the players. No development, just $$. That’s all they care about. Find a coach that has an actual job and coaches hockey because they love the game.
I would say OMHA vs GTHLVS KSL.
KSL is killing both. Its amazing how they dont see it. OMHA better get their head out of the sand and fast. all the coaches are now leaving for KSL as well. The new rep stream is KSL.
KSL is a cash grab for new hockey parents that is already dying
What a stupid comment. KSL grew approx. 33% over this off season, not losing a single team. Is it perfect? No. But it sure as hell not dying.

Secondly, yes, its a bit of a cash grab, but it is also completely displaced other organizations as the best way to get into AAA hockey. This doesn't mean that the development is necessarily better, however, it doesn't prove it isn't either. But, it is where the vast majority of top skilled kids go to play. Which raises the bar of play, and therefore makes better players (Probably).

I am not going to pretend to know who made up the AAA teams in the GTHL, but I bet the Raiders, Stars, and Aces are big parts of some teams. However, I CAN tell you who made up the AAA teams in a large portion of OMHA. Guess what? They are almost ENTIRELY made up of KSL kids, or other full ice programs outside of OMHA.

WW - YK
A/P - YK, JW, EOYK, Clarington Redwings
NS - JW, DurMustangs, EOYK, Junior Bulls
COW - NS, EOYK, Kawartha Cunucks
YSE - NS
QRD - EOYK
Hamilton - HamIronmen
Barrie - Purple Cobras

Almost their ENTIRE ROSTERS are made up of KSL kids.

The most interesting in my mind is the Barrie Colts. They have a VERY VERY strong MD program with a HUGE population of kids that try out and also playing their other U9 hockey levels. Yet, they STILL lost all their spots to the Purple Cobras. Which, this will likely happen again next year because the current 2016 Purple Cobras are one of the better T1 teams.

Lets also not forget that the NYHL is all but completely folded at this point and moved their teams at the 2017 level and other levels to KSL teams.

Lets also not forget that the KSL is one year old now, and has exceeded MOST peoples expectations. There were some unhappy people, obviously. These things happen. But, for the league to grow so significantly, so quickly. With lots of tryouts where they had 50 - 70 players going out for two teams in an age group.

...I find it pathetic and hilarious that 'tards still say "dying league"

Post by Guest »

KSL will continue to feed majority AAA teams. NYHL which used to be strong has lost teams and many players moving over to KSL. NYR has also pretty much moved their entire team. One of the Duffield teams came over as second tier 1 Raiders team. Might just be one tier 1 team for the 2016s remaining in NYHL and they will end up playing lower competition.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:42 pm KSL will continue to feed majority AAA teams. NYHL which used to be strong has lost teams and many players moving over to KSL. NYR has also pretty much moved their entire team. One of the Duffield teams came over as second tier 1 Raiders team. Might just be one tier 1 team for the 2016s remaining in NYHL and they will end up playing lower competition.
but but but...half ice and not keeping score is better guys!!! its better!!!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:22 pm
KSL is killing both. Its amazing how they dont see it. OMHA better get their head out of the sand and fast. all the coaches are now leaving for KSL as well. The new rep stream is KSL.
What a stupid comment. KSL grew approx. 33% over this off season, not losing a single team. Is it perfect? No. But it sure as hell not dying.

Secondly, yes, its a bit of a cash grab, but it is also completely displaced other organizations as the best way to get into AAA hockey. This doesn't mean that the development is necessarily better, however, it doesn't prove it isn't either. But, it is where the vast majority of top skilled kids go to play. Which raises the bar of play, and therefore makes better players (Probably).

I am not going to pretend to know who made up the AAA teams in the GTHL, but I bet the Raiders, Stars, and Aces are big parts of some teams. However, I CAN tell you who made up the AAA teams in a large portion of OMHA. Guess what? They are almost ENTIRELY made up of KSL kids, or other full ice programs outside of OMHA.

WW - YK
YSE - NS
QRD - EOYK
Hamilton - HamIronmen
Barrie - Purple Cobras

The most interesting in my mind is the Barrie Colts. They have a VERY VERY strong MD program with a HUGE population of kids that try out and also playing their other U9 hockey levels. Yet, they STILL lost all their spots to the Purple Cobras. Which, this will likely happen again next year because the current 2016 Purple Cobras are one of the better T1 teams.

Lets also not forget that the NYHL is all but completely folded at this point and moved their teams at the 2017 level and other levels to KSL teams.

Lets also not forget that the KSL is one year old now, and has exceeded MOST peoples expectations. There were some unhappy people, obviously. These things happen. But, for the league to grow so significantly, so quickly. With lots of tryouts where they had 50 - 70 players going out for two teams in an age group.

True

Post by Guest »

WW - YK
YSE - NS
QRD - EOYK
Hamilton - HamIronmen
Barrie - Purple Cobras

Yeah, it doesn't look good for OMHA.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

WW - YK
YSE - NS
QRD - EOYK
Hamilton - HamIronmen
Barrie - Purple Cobras

Yeah, it doesn't look good for OMHA.
Especially since a lot of the new teams are from OMHA areas, further out, extending the reach of KSL.

I am pretty sure there are new teams further east in Kingston, Ottawa areas. Further North in the Northstars and another team. and further South West as well.

Post by Guest »

This has become a KSL chat. There’s another thread for that.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:28 pm This has become a KSL chat. There’s another thread for that.
I disagree. This is specifically about OMHA vs GTHL at the AAA level.

The feeder system and how the kids get to that level of play is aligned with the discussion. If you want to bring up a point that isn't related to that, you should do that.

Instead of crying like a little biotch

Post by Guest »

What are thoughts on whether OMHA will be able to retain talent. If WW, Quinte and Barrie Colts remain intact this can change fortunes for OMHA. Problem is if another coach comes along and people are unhappy due to commitment or coaching style kids will leave.