Brick 2024

Re: Brick 2024

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:20 pm
Guest wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm What happened to being a good well rounded human being.

I would rather have my kid being a well liked kid, one that has career aspirations and does something from his career rather than be a brick wonder and then a total failure after
same. I'm sorry but going to the Brick, the Q or even a D1 school someday does not guarantee a job or happiness at all.
The Brick is great. Your kid will get tons of opportunities in the few years following just because he is a "Brick Kid". That being said, don't be naive enough to think that over the years, more and more kids make a brick team because of money and connections - it isn't what it once was. There are still more kids deserving to go than not deserving there. Enjoy the ride and memories!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm What happened to being a good well rounded human being.

I would rather have my kid being a well liked kid, one that has career aspirations and does something from his career rather than be a brick wonder and then a total failure after
same. I'm sorry but going to the Brick, the Q or even a D1 school someday does not guarantee a job or happiness at all.
We are all saying the same thing but we are failing to recognize where it starts for kids .. starts with the Brick .. if he achieves this level, being well liked, career aspirations, high level hockey, leadership role in hockey or business will follow. The Brick is where certain kids career are set in motion.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:25 pm

The Brick is great. Your kid will get tons of opportunities in the few years following just because he is a "Brick Kid". That being said, don't be naive enough to think that over the years, more and more kids make a brick team because of money and connections - it isn't what it once was. There are still more kids deserving to go than not deserving there. Enjoy the ride and memories!
Like what?

I know of someone in the Brick last year who barely played...father was very upset. Does this matter? It must be hard getting there and you just sit on the bench.

Post by Guest »

Brick is a snapshot in time where the kids haven't grown yet and the Dads are most enthusiastic/delusional about their kids' potential. It's the biggest thing ever if you're in it and if you're not it's the stupidest/most political thing ever. And there's plenty of stupidity and politics on top of some good hockey.

Go look at the first year of hitting kids and see how many "Brick kids" struggle because they haven't grown, or their dads were buddies with the right guy or they didn't like it as much when they couldn't just waltz by guys or they were on the right team and that team had to check the boxes.

Its actually worse outside of TO than here with the politics. Detroit is always just a Little Caesars recruiting vehicle. Team PA sucks every year because they only take Penguin kids, Chicago/Boston have so many freaking kids that there are a ton of great left out players, etc.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:34 pm Brick is a snapshot in time where the kids haven't grown yet and the Dads are most enthusiastic/delusional about their kids' potential. It's the biggest thing ever if you're in it and if you're not it's the stupidest/most political thing ever. And there's plenty of stupidity and politics on top of some good hockey.

Go look at the first year of hitting kids and see how many "Brick kids" struggle because they haven't grown, or their dads were buddies with the right guy or they didn't like it as much when they couldn't just waltz by guys or they were on the right team and that team had to check the boxes.

Its actually worse outside of TO than here with the politics. Detroit is always just a Little Caesars recruiting vehicle. Team PA sucks every year because they only take Penguin kids, Chicago/Boston have so many freaking kids that there are a ton of great left out players, etc.
I do think there are a lot of delusional parents at this age in hockey in general...not just the Brick. However I'm tired of hearing wait til hitting starts. I do know some kids who went to the Brick when they are 10 and now they're 15 and they are still top players...hitting didn't bother them...in fact they can hit and take a hit better than the others. JUST STOP WITH THE HITTING CRAP. There are other things that may contribute to a someone's demise in hockey but hitting isn't one of them.

Chicago has so many great kids left out? Their brick team is awful...I'll agree with you on Boston. Not sure I'd say a ton of great kids are left out...but some have been left out but in many cases their places were taken by kids from other states/Canada. On the Boston team there are people that MOVED recently to claim a spot. People are INsane.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:33 pm
Guest wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:34 pm Brick is a snapshot in time where the kids haven't grown yet and the Dads are most enthusiastic/delusional about their kids' potential. It's the biggest thing ever if you're in it and if you're not it's the stupidest/most political thing ever. And there's plenty of stupidity and politics on top of some good hockey.

I do think there are a lot of delusional parents at this age in hockey in general...not just the Brick. However I'm tired of hearing wait til hitting starts. I do know some kids who went to the Brick when they are 10 and now they're 15 and they are still top players...hitting didn't bother them...in fact they can hit and take a hit better than the others. JUST STOP WITH THE HITTING CRAP. There are other things that may contribute to a someone's demise in hockey but hitting isn't one of them.

Chicago has so many great kids left out? Their brick team is awful...I'll agree with you on Boston. Not sure I'd say a ton of great kids are left out...but some have been left out but in many cases their places were taken by kids from other states/Canada. On the Boston team there are people that MOVED recently to claim a spot. People are INsane.
I couldn't tell you one bit about the 2014 brick. I have older kids. I'm just saying those are examples of what you see in other places. Some of those places have plenty of examples of kids who move to play for the club who controls the brick license in the fall as part of the brick process too.

Look at some of the US years, the Western selects literally have all of Texas and California and the rest of the US. Sometimes you have three top 10 Peewee teams from those States alone. Good players get left out.

As for the when hitting starts comment, that's just one of many things that can change between being 10 and being 16.. some kids adjust great. Others don't. How many kids whose dads are 5'6 end up at 5'6? That matters less when you're little.

Post by Guest »

Why you wanna play in the Brick. Why don’t you pull up stats. How many kids from the Brick actually made it far.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:46 pm Why you wanna play in the Brick. Why don’t you pull up stats. How many kids from the Brick actually made it far.
It depends on what you mean by far...and MOST kids don't make it far in hockey. So I'd say more kids who played in the brick make it 'farther' vs those who didn't play in the brick.

I dont know what the stats are but if you look at NHL players today many of them DID play in the Brick. Now that doesnt mean that anyone who played in a brick goes to the NHL by any stretch or even D1.

Some teams actually have teams that compete marketwise with the brick and they dont want their players even trying out for the brick.

Post by Guest »

Brick Madness is in full flight. Lots of call going out to Detroit/Chicago to find a way onto the team, despite living in the GTA. If you don't make PH wouldn't it be better just not to go than try to weasel your way onto a Detroit team? How much fun is it when you don't know any of the other parents?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:54 am Brick Madness is in full flight. Lots of call going out to Detroit/Chicago to find a way onto the team, despite living in the GTA. If you don't make PH wouldn't it be better just not to go than try to weasel your way onto a Detroit team? How much fun is it when you don't know any of the other parents?
arent the teams already picked?