Re: OHL CUP 2023

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:45 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:35 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:20 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:55 am
Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:57 am
Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:48 am

There has only been one team from outside the GTHL to make the final in the past 10 years. So 20 teams in those final games and only 1 team was a non G team. Wow!
That 1 G team is also very close to the G.
So is it these smaller Communities lacking training/coaching/facilities ???
I think the answer here is that most of these G teams are made up of kids from other leagues in combination with Toronto kids. Smaller community teams are locked into where they live so unless the OHF opens the borders up in the rural areas you will continue to see the same trend. Of VK and JRC how many are from Toronto? How many 7 year players does each org have? I don’t know I’m genuinely curious as that answer will really explore this discussion of the G dominating.
Bang on. I'm not sure how import rules in the GTHL have evolved over the last few yrs but its always been a case of "brain drain". It even goes beyond kids from Ontario - if a talented kid from the US is moving to Ontario to play hockey then their top pick is going to be the GTHL.
Isn’t that the answer? Top talent attracts top talent. That is why the G is always on top.
For sure. I think that the argument here though is that any given year another team can compete with the best of the best if they were allowed imports. I’m also curious above the answer to the above question of how many kids on JRC and VK are imports
PP is that exact case. If my count is correct, 9 of 18 are actually from inside their borders and they could compete. If it was allowed, OMHA, Alliance, HEO would all be able to put together teams that would be able to compete regularly with GTHL. But they can’t because of dumb border rules. JRC has Ottawa kids, Marlies do, Petes do. Just as an example.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:07 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:57 am

That 1 G team is also very close to the G.
So is it these smaller Communities lacking training/coaching/facilities ???
I think the answer here is that most of these G teams are made up of kids from other leagues in combination with Toronto kids. Smaller community teams are locked into where they live so unless the OHF opens the borders up in the rural areas you will continue to see the same trend. Of VK and JRC how many are from Toronto? How many 7 year players does each org have? I don’t know I’m genuinely curious as that answer will really explore this discussion of the G dominating.
Bang on. I'm not sure how import rules in the GTHL have evolved over the last few yrs but its always been a case of "brain drain". It even goes beyond kids from Ontario - if a talented kid from the US is moving to Ontario to play hockey then their top pick is going to be the GTHL.
Isn’t that the answer? Top talent attracts top talent. That is why the G is always on top.
For sure. I think that the argument here though is that any given year another team can compete with the best of the best if they were allowed imports. I’m also curious above the answer to the above question of how many kids on JRC and VK are imports
PP is that exact case. If my count is correct, 9 of 18 are actually from inside their borders and they could compete. If it was allowed, OMHA, Alliance, HEO would all be able to put together teams that would be able to compete regularly with GTHL. But they can’t because of dumb border rules. JRC has Ottawa kids, Marlies do, Petes do. Just as an example.
So the complaint and excuse is that you aren't allowed imports... any yet... you acknowledge that literally half your team is from outside.

I think the real problem is not that there isn't enough talent on PP or WW or any one non-GTHL but that those leagues as a whole don't have enough and so you are building as much competitiveness into the season. For every PP, there is a RHC or an APR.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:23 pm

So the complaint and excuse is that you aren't allowed imports... any yet... you acknowledge that literally half your team is from outside.

I think the real problem is not that there isn't enough talent on PP or WW or any one non-GTHL but that those leagues as a whole don't have enough and so you are building as much competitiveness into the season. For every PP, there is a RHC or an APR.
No, my point is that in a year when imports were allowed, PP was able to compete. Now that boarders are closed again, I think it will be next to impossible for teams in OMHA to compete with the big dogs from GTHL. We are back to where we were 3 years ago.
And yes, for every PP there is not only RH, but Oshawa, Clarington, Kingston, Markham…..lol. Now that boarders are closed, the gap will close between top and bottom except for YSE as they are the typically the GTHL team in the ETA. PP, COW orgs. Better enjoy this year as there won’t be another one for a while…..if ever.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:23 pm

I think the point trying to be made is no other team in Ontario can draw from a population of 4 million. The border rules within the Gthl make it next to impossible for a team outside the Gthl to truly compete. If there were actual borders within the Gthl where teams only had specific regions to draw from things would look much different. Once you get away from the TM’s or JRC’s the Gthl teams get beat by non Gthl teams on a regular basis. Beyond that some Gthl teams blatantly go outside the Gthl for players and flaunt their own rules to have them play.
The Gthl can boast all it wants about the all Gthl final but the competition is skewed in their favour from the outset.

Post by Guest »

OHL cup rumors and information - see here: https://Not allowed/forum/-201 ... 23-ohl-cup

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:36 pm What is the prize for 0-4...ohh that's right you have to live in Port Colborne ...sorry I will take the beach ball
Not one kid lives in Port Colborne, almost funny though!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:39 pm
Guest wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:59 am Ha ha Marlies

Shit the bed against WW and all anyone at the rink is talking about are the two TM coaches on their cell phones on the bench with 20 seconds left during yesterdays round robin game yelling at WM to get back on the ice so he could get another point. Told the kids in the changeroom they were trying to get him his 10th point. Great job RP! Cost your team the OHL Cup!
I don’t know anything about this but they lost this game because they couldn’t stop punching guys in the head, not because of some phones being out.

44 on Waterloo is my pick to be the highest drafted player from this class in the NHL draft in a few years. He was all over the ice and I think his game will translate well to the next level compared to a few of the other top prospects.
Not really saying much… Unless you’re counting Misa. Schaefer and Roobroeck are late birthdays so getting drafted the year after… Meaning Moore and Martin would be harvey favourites for guys still playing u16. Misa will go higher though.

Post by Guest »

Usually at Minor Midget the G will have a couple dominant teams at the top. But that's because they get stacked by then. And those teams will have just as many kids that grew up playing in other leagues. So yes the G is always the 2 teams in final going back for some years now but it's not due to better coaching or development. It's player movement and rules for teams that aren't equal across the board. For example take all top ETA players from G and stack them on a a team with top players still in ETA, now do same with SCTA. It will certainly change some outcomes year after year. Look at most top 25 OHL draft rankings. Not many from G but they're on the same 2 teams.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:29 am Usually at Minor Midget the G will have a couple dominant teams at the top. But that's because they get stacked by then. And those teams will have just as many kids that grew up playing in other leagues. So yes the G is always the 2 teams in final going back for some years now but it's not due to better coaching or development. It's player movement and rules for teams that aren't equal across the board. For example take all top ETA players from G and stack them on a a team with top players still in ETA, now do same with SCTA. It will certainly change some outcomes year after year. Look at most top 25 OHL draft rankings. Not many from G but they're on the same 2 teams.

They leave those dusty farm arenas to come to the G for better coaching and development, and greater exposure. It’s the yellow brick road, the Hollywood sign. Opportunities that nowhere else can provide. Simple as that.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:36 am
Guest wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:29 am Usually at Minor Midget the G will have a couple dominant teams at the top. But that's because they get stacked by then. And those teams will have just as many kids that grew up playing in other leagues. So yes the G is always the 2 teams in final going back for some years now but it's not due to better coaching or development. It's player movement and rules for teams that aren't equal across the board. For example take all top ETA players from G and stack them on a a team with top players still in ETA, now do same with SCTA. It will certainly change some outcomes year after year. Look at most top 25 OHL draft rankings. Not many from G but they're on the same 2 teams.

They leave those dusty farm arenas to come to the G for better coaching and development, and greater exposure. It’s the yellow brick road, the Hollywood sign. Opportunities that nowhere else can provide. Simple as that.
Wrong. Not better exposure in reality and not better coaching. Again, check top 25 list, very few from G. Every league has their own assigned scouts and Development really starts at next level and so does good coaching.