Spring Hockey Tryouts U7 / U8 / U9

Re: Spring Hockey Tryouts U7 / U8 / U9

Post by Guest »

joining the bulldogs is like joining a fashion club team.

that is one department they easily win.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:37 am
Guest wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:39 am
Guest wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:37 am
Guest wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:21 pm Anyone hear back from Bulldogs yet?
They contacted me directly, asking if my son was interested in accepting a spot. We declined. Deciding not to do Spring hockey this year.
I got an email yesterday, looked like I was BCC'd asking if we would accept a spot. We did.
Which age group?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:11 am
They contacted me directly, asking if my son was interested in accepting a spot. We declined. Deciding not to do Spring hockey this year.
I got an email yesterday, looked like I was BCC'd asking if we would accept a spot. We did.
As a parent in this group with an another player several years older, I recommend not paying some bs coach anything for spring hockey (unless it's part of your winter teams program). It is nothing but a cash grab. These professional coaches make it seem like your kid needs to play spring hockey to be successful but that is nothing but a lie. They want your money and nothing more. The hockey is awful, the coaches don't really coach and are usually running 3 or 4 teams at once and the price is astronomical for hockey that means absolutely nothing. Take half that money and put your kid in a good, reputable hockey school one or two days a week for training, and/or put him/her on a Canlan pickup team spring team for $300. If you don't believe me ask any parent with an older kid on a successful team what their summer routine is and you will hear the same story; they got suckered for years paying for spring, and now, in retrospect, they see how pointless it was.
I appreciate it, I personally think it's a nice extension to the season - nothing more. Low commitment time through the week and fun for my son. Before other sports officially start up.

I personally wouldn't spend a lot on it. I was actually the one above who asked what a reasonable amount is. It's likely with my winter team, but he did try out elsewhere.

300-500?
500-700?
700+?
WestEndDad

Post by WestEndDad »

As a parent in this group with an another player several years older, I recommend not paying some bs coach anything for spring hockey (unless it's part of your winter teams program). It is nothing but a cash grab. These professional coaches make it seem like your kid needs to play spring hockey to be successful but that is nothing but a lie. They want your money and nothing more. The hockey is awful, the coaches don't really coach and are usually running 3 or 4 teams at once and the price is astronomical for hockey that means absolutely nothing. Take half that money and put your kid in a good, reputable hockey school one or two days a week for training, and/or put him/her on a Canlan pickup team spring team for $300. If you don't believe me ask any parent with an older kid on a successful team what their summer routine is and you will hear the same story; they got suckered for years paying for spring, and now, in retrospect, they see how pointless it was.
Well said

Post by Guest »

WestEndDad wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:44 pm
Well said
Agree 100%. I’m hearing from some folks they are paying over $1500 for spring hockey. This is highway robbery. Look at your winter team budget and figure out the math. Do some training, play at CanLan (or a tournament or two) and use the extra money to take your family on vacation. No OHL coach has ever cared what your 9 year old kid did in a spring tournament in June 5 years before the draft.

Post by Guest »

The spring hockey paid coach thing is BS. Bulldogs is basically a scam, it is so disorganized and not well coached. They rely on fomo to sucker parents in.
Saying that spring hockey is really fun for the kids and is great as the season is done so it isn't such a time commitment. You need to get in with a winter team joining a couple/few tourneys. Tourney price is about 1800 after tax, for most summer tourneys. Do the math and figure out if you are being hosed.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:49 am The spring hockey paid coach thing is BS. Bulldogs is basically a scam, it is so disorganized and not well coached. They rely on fomo to sucker parents in.
Saying that spring hockey is really fun for the kids and is great as the season is done so it isn't such a time commitment. You need to get in with a winter team joining a couple/few tourneys. Tourney price is about 1800 after tax, for most summer tourneys. Do the math and figure out if you are being hosed.
Bulldogs and pro hockey are both a joke in this province
Bhjay

Post by Bhjay »

Guest wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:49 am The spring hockey paid coach thing is BS. Bulldogs is basically a scam, it is so disorganized and not well coached. They rely on fomo to sucker parents in.
Bulldogs and pro hockey are both a joke in this province

Post by Guest »

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:44 pm
Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.
I also have an older kid and don't completely agree. Spring hockey is a fun time for the kids and a chance to play with some kids that they don't always get to play with and meet some new people. What I dislike is the organizations that want to lock you into a 4-5 tournament commitment and charge you a $1,000-$1,500 for it. Best way to approach spring hockey for us is to do a few weekend tournaments, couple hundred bucks a weekend and call it. Some people want to go to the Brick because they think there is prestige to it and that's fine, if you have $10,000 to blow in a spring more power to you.

If you are doing spring for a few skates, to play with some new people and generally to have some fun there is not a single thing wrong. If you think it's a path to stardom then you are going down the wrong path.