Spring Hockey Tryouts U7 / U8 / U9

Re: Spring Hockey Tryouts U7 / U8 / U9

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:51 am
Guest wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:44 pm
Guest wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:11 am
Guest wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:39 am
Guest wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:37 am
Guest wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:21 pm Anyone hear back from Bulldogs yet?
They contacted me directly, asking if my son was interested in accepting a spot. We declined. Deciding not to do Spring hockey this year.
I got an email yesterday, looked like I was BCC'd asking if we would accept a spot. We did.
As a parent in this group with an another player several years older, I recommend not paying some bs coach anything for spring hockey (unless it's part of your winter teams program). It is nothing but a cash grab. These professional coaches make it seem like your kid needs to play spring hockey to be successful but that is nothing but a lie. They want your money and nothing more. The hockey is awful, the coaches don't really coach and are usually running 3 or 4 teams at once and the price is astronomical for hockey that means absolutely nothing. Take half that money and put your kid in a good, reputable hockey school one or two days a week for training, and/or put him/her on a Canlan pickup team spring team for $300. If you don't believe me ask any parent with an older kid on a successful team what their summer routine is and you will hear the same story; they got suckered for years paying for spring, and now, in retrospect, they see how pointless it was.
Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.
I also have an older kid and don't completely agree. Spring hockey is a fun time for the kids and a chance to play with some kids that they don't always get to play with and meet some new people. What I dislike is the organizations that want to lock you into a 4-5 tournament commitment and charge you a $1,000-$1,500 for it. Best way to approach spring hockey for us is to do a few weekend tournaments, couple hundred bucks a weekend and call it. Some people want to go to the Brick because they think there is prestige to it and that's fine, if you have $10,000 to blow in a spring more power to you.

If you are doing spring for a few skates, to play with some new people and generally to have some fun there is not a single thing wrong. If you think it's a path to stardom then you are going down the wrong path.
As a first timer, this was my thoughts on it.

Let my kid extend the season a bit, but with much lower commitment levels. I asked him, he said he wants to do it. At U8 I don't just blindly allow him to do anything he wants, but it wasn't going to interfere with his spring/summer sport that he plays. Its lower requirements so we can wind down slowly. Plus it gives him the opportunity to play with some new kids potentially.

but I agree, I've heard there are some "tournament teams" that charge an absolute fortune to play with them.

I was hoping it would be $1000 or less. With one practice a week at most.

Post by Guest »

I overheard one of the coaches of the Bulldogs talking to a parent the other night. They were telling them that they are going to cut one of their goalies in the next week because someone who didn't try out wants in. I guess they are really good?

Sounded like they were talking about a U8/U9 from the way they were talking.

Good luck parents.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:30 pm I overheard one of the coaches of the Bulldogs talking to a parent the other night. They were telling them that they are going to cut one of their goalies in the next week because someone who didn't try out wants in. I guess they are really good?

Good luck parents.
Hi Dad

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:30 pm I overheard one of the coaches of the Bulldogs talking to a parent the other night. They were telling them that they are going to cut one of their goalies in the next week because someone who didn't try out wants in. I guess they are really good?

Good luck parents.
Run!!! Not worth the $$$$$

Post by Guest »

Good luck parents.
The coach of my kids team just emailed me and said he wants to talk.....

Post by Guest »

As likely mentioned before everyone is free to spend their after tax money, time and effort doing whatever they want.......as someone who has been a non parent coach and also had a kid play spring hockey my only advice is.....your mileage may vary...good luck to everyone

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:06 pm As likely mentioned before everyone is free to spend their after tax money, time and effort doing whatever they want.......as someone who has been a non parent coach and also had a kid play spring hockey my only advice is.....your mileage may vary...good luck to everyone
My kid just got taken off the bulldogs top team last night because another kid who didn't even try out wanted to join.

They didn't even offer me my money back, just told me that hes on the 2nd team now.

this is insane.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:19 am
Guest wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:06 pm As likely mentioned before everyone is free to spend their after tax money, time and effort doing whatever they want.......as someone who has been a non parent coach and also had a kid play spring hockey my only advice is.....your mileage may vary...good luck to everyone
My kid just got taken off the bulldogs top team last night because another kid who didn't even try out wanted to join.

They didn't even offer me my money back, just told me that hes on the 2nd team now.

this is insane.
Welcome to competitive hockey. For every decent coach there are 3 others lining up to take your money.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:32 am

this is insane.
Welcome to competitive hockey. For every decent coach there are 3 others lining up to take your money.
My kid started on the 3rd team and got bumped to the 4th team. Again, a bunch of kids who didn't even try out are coming and taking spots.

Bulldogs are a scam, I will never let me kid play there again. Luckily he has friends that are on the roster, so hes not upset.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:36 am
Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:32 am

this is insane.
My kid started on the 3rd team and got bumped to the 4th team. Again, a bunch of kids who didn't even try out are coming and taking spots.

Bulldogs are a scam, I will never let me kid play there again. Luckily he has friends that are on the roster, so hes not upset.
Brutal - my kid got bumped from the 7th team to the 8th team - Bobby from Windsor took his spot :o