2012 GTHL AA West

Re: 2012 GTHL AA West

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:58 am That’s one thing I don’t understand. Isn’t development better at aaa? Lots of parents saying it’s better at aa and then they walk into aaa. I would think it’s harder to get in as the aaa kids just all seem to move around to other teams.
100%. Get in when and if you can - assuming that is the end goal. Otherwise, the older they get, the harder it is to get in.

Post by Guest »

Development is getting 5 min of ice time per game in AAA vs. playing on special teams and lots of ice especially in critical game situations in AA?

No thanks. Won’t even get into the cost of AAA. Will take my chance in AA and move to AAA in U14.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:17 am Development is getting 5 min of ice time per game in AAA vs. playing on special teams and lots of ice especially in critical game situations in AA?

No thanks. Won’t even get into the cost of AAA. Will take my chance in AA and move to AAA in U14.
You can’t wait until u14. If you watch aaa right now the kids that belong skate way better, shoot way better, see the game way better, pass better are faster and a lot of cases are stronger and bigger. Kids will make the jump so not saying they won’t. Development is better in aaa if you get the ice time otherwise agree with you to stay where you get ice as this is what it’s all about.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:17 am Development is getting 5 min of ice time per game in AAA vs. playing on special teams and lots of ice especially in critical game situations in AA?

You find a coach that aligns with your values. Good luck getting into AAA at 14. A friend of ours has the top kid in under 14 AA and could not get him onto a AAA team. You take your chances. But of course, maybe your kid is not ready for AAA now anyway and wouldn’t get a spot. So stay AA

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:26 am

You can’t wait until u14. If you watch aaa right now the kids that belong skate way better, shoot way better, see the game way better, pass better are faster and a lot of cases are stronger and bigger. Kids will make the jump so not saying they won’t. Development is better in aaa if you get the ice time otherwise agree with you to stay where you get ice as this is what it’s all about.
There is a lot of talk on skating and height. What are your thoughts on that? Both important?

Post by Guest »

Is height something you can really control? If you are short and fat, odds are your boy won’t be 6-4’.

Skating is table stakes in hockey, no?

Post by Guest »

My kid is a great player but not a strong skater and everyone is telling me that I need to correct it that it’s the most important.
Looking for other opinions I guess. He is on a top aa team. Slow but good at the game.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:40 am My kid is a great player but not a strong skater and everyone is telling me that I need to correct it that it’s the most important.
Looking for other opinions I guess. He is on a top aa team. Slow but good at the game.
Skating I would say is most important

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:27 pm
Guest wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:40 am My kid is a great player but not a strong skater and everyone is telling me that I need to correct it that it’s the most important.
Skating I would say is most important
Skating (speed, edges, acceleration, starts and stops) the most important thing now as it will be hard to break poor form at a later age. The best skating kids are starting to move up as you could get away with bad form in the early. Best thing you can do besides focusing on other sports in summer is get a good pair of roller blades for your kid

Post by Guest »

Can skating be fixed ?