2012 GTHL 'A' DIVISION

Re: 2012 GTHL 'A' DIVISION

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:43 am
Guest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:43 am
Guest wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:01 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:25 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:12 am West Hill indeed listed in the tryouts section, but not listed in the GTHL approved teams spreadsheet. Interesting.
How can a team that is not carded for next year hold a tryout? Is this just an admin issue on the GTHL’s part or does anyone know if they are actually holding tryouts?
Perhaps a late approval, hence the last two tryout dates…hoping to pick up stragglers?
Yes, apparently they appealed the rejection and won. WHich makes sense. West Hill has not had a team at A or AA in 2012 ever. I'd rather see an Org get a team over another Org getting a 2nd team.I know West Hill used to have a great House League program and solid representation at Select/A/AA Levels. Not sure if thats still the case or not?

Wondering if they will be a destination for Durham kids who want to play in the G.
TR and LF are most likely moving their select teams up. It would be interesting to hear the reason why those groups couldn't go to another org in the G. There are plenty of east end orgs that would have been a legit option for either of them. And moving to another org would have created better call-up options.

WH couldn't be a team full of Durham kids, as imports are limited to 3. Most likely bringing their select team up.
The TR and LF organizations won’t release coaches.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:12 am
Guest wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:12 am West Hill indeed listed in the tryouts section, but not listed in the GTHL approved teams spreadsheet. Interesting.
How can a team that is not carded for next year hold a tryout? Is this just an admin issue on the GTHL’s part or does anyone know if they are actually holding tryouts?
Perhaps a late approval, hence the last two tryout dates…hoping to pick up stragglers?
Yes, apparently they appealed the rejection and won. WHich makes sense. West Hill has not had a team at A or AA in 2012 ever. I'd rather see an Org get a team over another Org getting a 2nd team.I know West Hill used to have a great House League program and solid representation at Select/A/AA Levels. Not sure if thats still the case or not?

Wondering if they will be a destination for Durham kids who want to play in the G.
TR and LF are most likely moving their select teams up. It would be interesting to hear the reason why those groups couldn't go to another org in the G. There are plenty of east end orgs that would have been a legit option for either of them. And moving to another org would have created better call-up options.

WH couldn't be a team full of Durham kids, as imports are limited to 3. Most likely bringing their select team up.
How's that? TR and LF coaches would be leaving NYHL and going to the G.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:29 pm

All orgs “own” the coach’s Hockey Canada card for a year after they leave if it’s the same age group. They can coach other age groups but not the same one.

Read up on this season’s 2014 NYK AA debacle if you’re interested in more on this.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 pm

All orgs “own” the coach’s Hockey Canada card for a year after they leave if it’s the same age group. They can coach other age groups but not the same one.

Read up on this season’s 2014 NYK AA debacle if you’re interested in more on this.
My understanding is that orgs can only prevent a coach from coaching in the same age & division, for obvious reasons.

Never heard of an org holding a select coach and forcing the league to grant a second team. Especially for two different orgs in the same year. Doesn't seem ethical.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:35 pm

My understanding is that orgs can only prevent a coach from coaching in the same age & division, for obvious reasons.

Never heard of an org holding a select coach and forcing the league to grant a second team. Especially for two different orgs in the same year. Doesn't seem ethical.
I heard that 2014 NYK AA issue is going to get over turned on appeal. The issue is that the GTHL was applying the rule to a team that wasn’t in an eligible age group (applying GTHL rules to a U9 team that wasn’t affiliated with a u10 GTHL team). The rule of requiring a release of coaches makes sense to protect the card and team that is in the organization- you don’t want to see teams fold. Using that rule to prevent select teams from moving into A or now allowing two teams at the same level is just greed by the organization. They did such a great job developing talent and they don’t want to let the team or players go. Yet meanwhile, the other orgs around these associations struggle to attract kids and develop talent because they can’t get the critical mass.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 am
Guest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:35 pm

I heard that 2014 NYK AA issue is going to get over turned on appeal. The issue is that the GTHL was applying the rule to a team that wasn’t in an eligible age group (applying GTHL rules to a U9 team that wasn’t affiliated with a u10 GTHL team). The rule of requiring a release of coaches makes sense to protect the card and team that is in the organization- you don’t want to see teams fold. Using that rule to prevent select teams from moving into A or now allowing two teams at the same level is just greed by the organization. They did such a great job developing talent and they don’t want to let the team or players go. Yet meanwhile, the other orgs around these associations struggle to attract kids and develop talent because they can’t get the critical mass.
Personally I think having two teams in the same org, especially in the G where there are no borders, lays the ground work for a political mess. I suspect there will be a bunch of unhappy people in those orgs because some parent or kid thinks the coaches got it wrong, and accusations of nepotism will certainly surface. And when the AA team calls the "wrong kid", it won't take long for be for we start seeing shots fired on MHT. It should make for an interesting season.

Post by Guest »

Congrats to the Avs for winning the playoffs.

Knights came close and could have won it all in game 3 if their goon hadn't crushed someone into the boards with minutes left on the clock, and then got scored against on the powerplay.

No hardware this year for the Knights ;)

They should look at playing a less dirty and more multidimensional game next year. Although I doubt they make the playoffs next year with both TR and LF beefing up.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:56 pm Congrats to the Avs for winning the playoffs.

Knights came close and could have won it all in game 3 if their goon hadn't crushed someone into the boards with minutes left on the clock, and then got scored against on the powerplay.

They should look at playing a less dirty and more multidimensional game next year. Although I doubt they make the playoffs next year with both TR and LF beefing up.
Hope your kid is learning better sportsmanship than you playing the game.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 pm
Guest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:56 pm Congrats to the Avs for winning the playoffs.

Did you notice goon throwing his stick after collecting his 2nd place medal? Is that the kind of sportsmanship you are referring to :?:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:46 pm
Guest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 pm

Did you notice goon throwing his stick after collecting his 2nd place medal? Is that the kind of sportsmanship you are referring to :?:
No, that’s an 11 year old boy, I presume I’m talking with an adult.