Spring Hockey Tryouts U7 / U8 / U9

Re: Spring Hockey Tryouts U7 / U8 / U9

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:41 pm Did anyone go to Toronto Elite Spring tryouts? How does it compare to others like Bulldogs and Pro Hockey?
They are as big a ripoff as the rest of these 'high end' spring programs. RUN!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:37 am
Guest wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:41 pm Did anyone go to Toronto Elite Spring tryouts? How does it compare to others like Bulldogs and Pro Hockey?
CJ can at least run a good practice

ML runs good development skates for that age

Pro hockey gives you some young kid looking to make a name usually

I used to be all in on these spring tournaments and stuff but now I’m going to prioritize other things to develop my son and utilize tournaments and games as opportunities to put those teachings into practice.

It’ll be cheaper and he will get more out of it than 3 games in a day running on fumes

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:34 am

I used to be all in on these spring tournaments and stuff but now I’m going to prioritize other things to develop my son and utilize tournaments and games as opportunities to put those teachings into practice.

It’ll be cheaper and he will get more out of it than 3 games in a day running on fumes
Where would you rank each of these 3? Are you planning to do mostly skills training instead?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:03 am

Where would you rank each of these 3? Are you planning to do mostly skills training instead?
Depends on the age group largely and also depends on what kind of relationship you want. CJ has always taken care of my son and my sons AAA coach is friends with him so it’s different for me. I try to play with them whenever asked

I do like MLs camps and stuff never played for them. I like that he doesn’t let my kid half ass through a drill

PHD gives you a brick shot but imo hasn’t offered much in the way of development, however that’s not really their job tho. They put together increasing better teams as the kids get closer to the Brick. For the U9s it will be a much more intense and comprehensive program compared to last year I’d imagine. I believe that they’re doing a couple of different tournaments away including Vegas

Do you want to pay 10k~ for one spring season though? Depends on how deep the pocket book runs and how much you value the experience for your child.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:03 am

Carnevale (games once a week), two days dryland stuff, 1 day skills (private), 1 day skating focus only

The games once a week are intended to be where I can monitor his progress and the implementation of what we’ve worked on in privates.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:16 am
Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:58 am
Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:53 am
Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:36 am
Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:32 am
Guest wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:19 am

My kid just got taken off the bulldogs top team last night because another kid who didn't even try out wanted to join.

They didn't even offer me my money back, just told me that hes on the 2nd team now.

this is insane.
Welcome to competitive hockey. For every decent coach there are 3 others lining up to take your money.
My kid started on the 3rd team and got bumped to the 4th team. Again, a bunch of kids who didn't even try out are coming and taking spots.

Bulldogs are a scam, I will never let me kid play there again. Luckily he has friends that are on the roster, so hes not upset.
Brutal - my kid got bumped from the 7th team to the 8th team - Bobby from Windsor took his spot :o
Hate all you want, but parents are just trying to do what they think is good for their kids. As long as the kids WANT to play, I see nothing wrong with it. Bulldogs isn't the route I would take personally, but if your fall team isn't putting on a spring team - then its a valid choice.

Nothing funnier than a parent who's kid probably couldn't make the bulldogs (even though they take everyone) making fun of other peoples choices.
Bulldogs, ProHoc are the biggest cash grabs out there. If you paid to try out then you're being taken for a ride. These teams are made before the tryouts. Last year ProHoc tryouts at Xmas were almost $200. Think about that. 30 kids X $200 + $6000 take $1000 for ice and, well, you get the picture. Last year they wanted $300 per tournament. 18 kids X $300 = $5400 for a tournament that costs around $1500. Now think about how many of these teams these companies have, and do the math. Think about it and you'll realize what spring hockey is about. It's almost as sickening as the 'coaches' who run this crap.
And, fyi I'm not some parent who is jealous that my kid isn't on the 'team'. I've not approached any of these teams and only play for these orgs. when they offer the position for free (which happens often). My kid will spend the summer training, swimming and being a kid. It's a long way to the draft so save your money because real hockey is expensive.
Yeah but you get jerseys, apparel, and Vicki will put your kids picture on the ProHockey Instagram page. 🤣

Post by Guest »

It seems that more and more people really buying into Spring Hockey.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:06 am It seems that more and more people really buying into Spring Hockey.
Yup at this age it's super easy for these carpetbagging coaches to sell the dream, actually the nightmare of their kid not making AAA. They don't understand that these spring teams have nothing to do with hockey and are just a good way to dump a few grand into some low life's bank account. Look at the older ages, there is some spring hockey but mainly for letter chasers but most parents have realized their kids don't need or want it.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:55 am
Guest wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:06 am It seems that more and more people really buying into Spring Hockey.
Yup at this age it's super easy for these carpetbagging coaches to sell the dream, actually the nightmare of their kid not making AAA. They don't understand that these spring teams have nothing to do with hockey and are just a good way to dump a few grand into some low life's bank account. Look at the older ages, there is some spring hockey but mainly for letter chasers but most parents have realized their kids don't need or want it.
This. Take from a parent like me who got hosed last year. $325 a tournament. Didn’t even have a real coach. They asked a hockey dad to sub in for one game when a parent coach (with a kid in the team who was getting a weekend of free hockey) couldn’t make it.

Quality of hockey was crap. It was glorified Shinny and whenever we played a real winter team, we got destroyed.

YMMV indeed.

Post by Guest »

Did anyone receive the offers from PH for spring elite yet?