Trainers - Do they have a shelf life?

Re: Trainers - Do they have a shelf life?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:14 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:08 am there are 0 good shooting coaches. you got old guys with big bellies doing half hearted sessions
This is an issue as you get into teenage years. Kids can get back into bad habits around shooting .. arm too close to body, big wind ups, hand position on blade, wrists in wrong position. Finding our trainer is doing zero, I mean zero work on correcting bad habits. Also, where is the work plan between sessions? No email, no detailed work plan for the teenagers. Yes, some falls on coaches but trainers need to spot this within team as well. I agree, need at least two trainers out for a team. Any suggestions for a GTA AA U15 team?
In any other sport, coaches typically coach strategy not fine skills. Yes some coaches will point things out, especially at a younger age where errors are much more obvious. But typically you aren't getting elite skill training from coaches.

If you want your player to improve on those things, they need to work their ass off watching videos and putting in the work. Or hire a trainer to work on those specific things.

Post by Guest »

The North Toronto program was handed over to a nice girl with little experience or technical background. Her dad was president of the org. There were many better candidates. Someone should have guided her for a year or two. The trainers she hired learn from her I would imagine. Too bad. Great program in the past.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:05 pm The North Toronto program was handed over to a nice girl with little experience or technical background. Her dad was president of the org. There were many better candidates. Someone should have guided her for a year or two. The trainers she hired learn from her I would imagine. Too bad. Great program in the past.
The big question here is whether you feel these trainers will get our kids from a 'AA' level to a 'AAA' level as kids become teenagers. This requires both a high level of skill, experience and a desire. North Toronto Program must exude this at all levels from board to training leader to each trainer. We want to be the best of the best. There is an issue at North Toronto that the program wanes as kids become teenagers.

Post by Guest »

You are correct. AR had the same flaw prior to NS. Cannot teach high end skills in particular after 12 years old. The better players look elsewhere very quickly.

Post by Guest »

Sorry NS should read NR

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:08 pm You are correct. AR had the same flaw prior to NS. Cannot teach high end skills in particular after 12 years old. The better players look elsewhere very quickly.
Here lies the issue. As kids get to 14, 15 year olds, why waste time with a trainer UNLESS they can teach, train, motivate and personalize the training. Just have the coach run the drills. If trainer is not delivering, Should the parents now call a meeting to course correct practice strategy when this happens? I want to solve the issue and not just complain about it.

Post by Guest »

Yes a discussion is on the menu but I suggest you have a solution and in this situation there are only a few options as the trainer talent pool is low due to parental bs.

Post by Guest »

Get rid of the head of the learn to play program and put someone in there that knows hockey.

Post by Guest »

There are very few good skill coaches. I have seen maybe 3 that are "wow this guy is incredible but they are always booked up!

Return to “2004 And Younger”