Advice for New Hockey Parent

Re: Advice for New Hockey Parent

Post by Guest »

Kids between 4-5 should not be pressured into playing full ice or the pressure of playing every single day. To be honest let kids learn to enjoy the game without the pressure or they will have a bad experience. I've seen it with other kids where the parents are more about themselves rather than what is best for the child. Even at 6 and 7 there are some parents who are just constantly getting upset. Have even seen some mothers behave this way and it is just ridiculous. Tim bits at this age is perfectly fine and as they start to enjoy the game get them some extra development but do not over do it and watch for signs of burn out. I've seen kids who seemed to be the best on the team and near the end of the season they regressed and it was like is it the same kid. It was because of all the pressure from the parent usually and so they start to hate the game and are just going on the ice because the parent is forcing them to. The best recommendation i've heard over and over is that let them play multiple sports and let them learn to enjoy the game and you see more interest and progression up the level of where they play with an extra day of training. I would stay away from all the craziness before 7-8. It will take a lot of time for kid at 4-7 to learn so much while they will pickup things so much quicker once they are a bit older, a bit more mature and coordinated. Multi sport athletes will naturally be more successful at hockey and other sports. I don't mean to sound racist but I see a lot of this over training at young ages from non-North American parents who may have a lot of money and have no idea what they are doing. A lot of them are obsessed with hockey in a wrong way. If you want some good advice I recommend listening to a few youtube vidoes from PowerTech Hockey. You will hear the same messaging as what I have mentioned and these guys have trained guys who have gone on to play in the NHL.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:27 pm Hi everyone, new hockey parent here. I have a son who is born in 2019. The landscape of minor hockey has changes drastically since my playing days. I'm a bit confused as to where I should be looking to place my son next season. We are in Durham and initially had him enrolled in our local "learn to play" program as our Centre did not have a Timbits program for his age group. We found this to be a complete waste of time, as a 50 minute ice time session at 7 a.m. turned into half an hour of bag skating and the kids being kicked off the ice ten minutes early so volunteer instructors (14-16 year old, lower level players) could take slap shots. We declined the to reregister for the winter session and have been going to stick and puck. At these skates we have been speaking with parents who plan on having their kids play in the KSL and my son has the opportunity to skate with two separate teams this spring. I have seen some of these teams practice and the talent of players and coaching seem to be excellent, especially compared to the local house leagues. I have also been told that registration for these teams can be up to $5000. My son wont be 5 until December, so this seems like a bit much.

It is not my intention to cause a shit storm, as I've read the Klevr thread and have seen that there are mixed feelings on this subject. I was really not a fan of the house league set up, coaching, or political agenda set forth by Hockey Canada in all of their literature my wife and I were forced to read before being allowed to enter the arena. On the other end of the spectrum, I would love to provide my son to have opportunity to good coaching and competition. However, I'm a little intimidated to put my four year old in a tryout, pay the hefty price tag and have him potentially loose playing time because of his performance at such a young age. His ability is not a concern Its the surrounding factors.

What is this level of hockey like for children of this age?

Does anyone have any experience being at this cross road or have any advice they can offer?
This was the wrong forum to ask this question.... do yourself a favor ask close friends and family and just get him on the ice or in a program and the rest will take care of it self.

Post by Guest »

There have been some good responses here. I would take a lot of this into consideration. Just remember less is more at this age. Sign the kid up in Tim Bits and go with the flow and stay away from red flag parents.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:53 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:27 pm Hi everyone, new hockey parent here. I have a son who is born in 2019. The landscape of minor hockey has changes drastically since my playing days. I'm a bit confused as to where I should be looking to place my son next season. We are in Durham and initially had him enrolled in our local "learn to play" program as our Centre did not have a Timbits program for his age group. We found this to be a complete waste of time, as a 50 minute ice time session at 7 a.m. turned into half an hour of bag skating and the kids being kicked off the ice ten minutes early so volunteer instructors (14-16 year old, lower level players) could take slap shots. We declined the to reregister for the winter session and have been going to stick and puck. At these skates we have been speaking with parents who plan on having their kids play in the KSL and my son has the opportunity to skate with two separate teams this spring. I have seen some of these teams practice and the talent of players and coaching seem to be excellent, especially compared to the local house leagues. I have also been told that registration for these teams can be up to $5000. My son wont be 5 until December, so this seems like a bit much.

It is not my intention to cause a shit storm, as I've read the Klevr thread and have seen that there are mixed feelings on this subject. I was really not a fan of the house league set up, coaching, or political agenda set forth by Hockey Canada in all of their literature my wife and I were forced to read before being allowed to enter the arena. On the other end of the spectrum, I would love to provide my son to have opportunity to good coaching and competition. However, I'm a little intimidated to put my four year old in a tryout, pay the hefty price tag and have him potentially loose playing time because of his performance at such a young age. His ability is not a concern Its the surrounding factors.

What is this level of hockey like for children of this age?

Does anyone have any experience being at this cross road or have any advice they can offer?
This was the wrong forum to ask this question.... do yourself a favor ask close friends and family and just get him on the ice or in a program and the rest will take care of it self.
Completely agree but I would ask someone who has been through it already, not people currently in it because they are skewed and jaded. Once you come out the other end you have a totally different perspective on it and a lot of people, myself included wish it was done differently

Post by Guest »

What are your goals should be the question? Do you want your kid to play AAA, you want him to just play and have fun, you want more than that. Some parents are highly motivated to do whatever it takes to try make the kid pro but it doesn’t work that way. Parents cannot control this. If the motivation is yourself I suggest you reevaluate the situation.

Post by Guest »

Here’s some advice. Get a life and get laid.

Post by Guest »

Buddy with the last response is the reason not to ask here. These forums have become a circus. If your kid is really only 4 go with the advice given. House League and get advice from the coach.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:45 pm What are your goals should be the question? Do you want your kid to play AAA, you want him to just play and have fun, you want more than that. Some parents are highly motivated to do whatever it takes to try make the kid pro but it doesn’t work that way. Parents cannot control this. If the motivation is yourself I suggest you reevaluate the situation.
Yep. And be careful to not become (and a lot do):
- A crazy hockey parent that over-trains their kid until the kid burns out and quits hockey.
- A crazy hockey parent that complains and bitches about coaches and other players.
– A crazy hockey parent that thinks their kid is better than every other player.
- A crazy hockey parent that lives vicariously through their kid hoping to make the NHL (chances are they won't).
- A crazy hockey parent that looses sight of why their kid plays hockey—to have fun!
– A crazy hockey parent that only chases an extra letter, a, aa, aaa. It doesn't matter.
– A crazy hockey parent that lectures their kid on the drive home from every game and practice.

Post by Guest »

Here’s best advice you will get nothing smart mouthed. First off figure out why you want your son or daughter to play, is it for exercise that’s fine, want to try and play pro, go for it, god bless. When entering, while there are great hockey families, these are not your friends, these are your kids friends parents. Most important find the right level, if your playing AAA not scoring not playing it’s not coaches fault, every coach play his best players, this won’t help your son. Don’t play HL or single A hockey and have you child score 123 goals in a season thinking he’s a star and bragging, there would be a whole level ahead of ya playing way higher tempo hockey. You will find your kid’s favourite hockey is away from parents, refs, glass bangers, whistles, systems, they will like shinny outdoors with their friends and family most trust me on this, even highest end AAA player like to play with friends outside with no pressure. They will keep the score, and break up the fights call their own penalties. Sorry for the rambling spend time with your children in the car tell stories as a family. Go home order a pizza and turn on CBC and watch the leafs. Just pass the game on to other generations, good luck brother

Post by Guest »

DHD will be scouting