Advice for New Hockey Parent

Advice for New Hockey Parent

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone, new hockey parent here. I have a son who is born in 2019. The landscape of minor hockey has changes drastically since my playing days. I'm a bit confused as to where I should be looking to place my son next season. We are in Durham and initially had him enrolled in our local "learn to play" program as our Centre did not have a Timbits program for his age group. We found this to be a complete waste of time, as a 50 minute ice time session at 7 a.m. turned into half an hour of bag skating and the kids being kicked off the ice ten minutes early so volunteer instructors (14-16 year old, lower level players) could take slap shots. We declined the to reregister for the winter session and have been going to stick and puck. At these skates we have been speaking with parents who plan on having their kids play in the KSL and my son has the opportunity to skate with two separate teams this spring. I have seen some of these teams practice and the talent of players and coaching seem to be excellent, especially compared to the local house leagues. I have also been told that registration for these teams can be up to $5000. My son wont be 5 until December, so this seems like a bit much.

It is not my intention to cause a shit storm, as I've read the Klevr thread and have seen that there are mixed feelings on this subject. I was really not a fan of the house league set up, coaching, or political agenda set forth by Hockey Canada in all of their literature my wife and I were forced to read before being allowed to enter the arena. On the other end of the spectrum, I would love to provide my son to have opportunity to good coaching and competition. However, I'm a little intimidated to put my four year old in a tryout, pay the hefty price tag and have him potentially loose playing time because of his performance at such a young age. His ability is not a concern Its the surrounding factors.

What is this level of hockey like for children of this age?

Does anyone have any experience being at this cross road or have any advice they can offer?

Re: Advice for New Hockey Parent

Post by Guest »

At that age I think the most important thing is fun. You're not creating a superstar at 4 years old.
WestEndDad

Post by WestEndDad »

I would start with House League and see how it goes. The modified ice at that age is great (in my opinion) for all the extra puck touches it provides to all kids. The research is there to show that this is beneficial to kids overall, it's pretty well fully adopted - except for the new KHL. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts, but unless your kid is exceptional and blowing away anything in House League I wouldn't spend the money on KHL and even then I'd just look to what select programs are available and find a Tier 1 program in your area. They must exist.

I can't speak to Durham but in the smaller Toronto'ish GTA area at the Tyke level there is select within the NYHL, as well as CDP for the west end and CDS for the east end.

Reach out to a few different house leagues and go watch a few games. I would agree that the learn to play is often a bit depressing if you pick it up fast but also it's perfect for many kids who are just learning to skate.

Here's a good explanation:
https://www.humbervalleyhockey.com/cdp/ (I have zero affiliation here)
https://sites.google.com/view/cdp-hockey

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:27 pm Hi everyone, new hockey parent here. I have a son who is born in 2019. The landscape of minor hockey has changes drastically since my playing days. I'm a bit confused as to where I should be looking to place my son next season. We are in Durham and initially had him enrolled in our local "learn to play" program as our Centre did not have a Timbits program for his age group. We found this to be a complete waste of time, as a 50 minute ice time session at 7 a.m. turned into half an hour of bag skating and the kids being kicked off the ice ten minutes early so volunteer instructors (14-16 year old, lower level players) could take slap shots. We declined the to reregister for the winter session and have been going to stick and puck. At these skates we have been speaking with parents who plan on having their kids play in the KSL and my son has the opportunity to skate with two separate teams this spring. I have seen some of these teams practice and the talent of players and coaching seem to be excellent, especially compared to the local house leagues. I have also been told that registration for these teams can be up to $5000. My son wont be 5 until December, so this seems like a bit much.

It is not my intention to cause a shit storm, as I've read the Klevr thread and have seen that there are mixed feelings on this subject. I was really not a fan of the house league set up, coaching, or political agenda set forth by Hockey Canada in all of their literature my wife and I were forced to read before being allowed to enter the arena. On the other end of the spectrum, I would love to provide my son to have opportunity to good coaching and competition. However, I'm a little intimidated to put my four year old in a tryout, pay the hefty price tag and have him potentially loose playing time because of his performance at such a young age. His ability is not a concern Its the surrounding factors.

Does anyone have any experience being at this cross road or have any advice they can offer?
As someone who is currently in KSL with a kid two years older than yours.

It doesn't matter REALLY where your kid plays - its more important you have him play with a coach you like, on a team that offers the right amount of ice time for you and your sons abilities and desires.

its not one size fits all.

Personally, we did Timbits in North Durham and it was fine. But it was largely dependent on who your coach was. But, it was WAY more affordable than any other alternative. If you so choose, you could take the difference of the costs and apply it to one on one development with a skating coach, etc. and be far better off than any hockey program at this age. You won't know who their coach will be until its too late, and so you are stuck with your decision.

There are a lot of KSL teams in the Durham and surrounding area. I doubt, outside of the Young Kings, that your cost would be $5000 (and even then, at that age, I highly doubt it) I would just ask the teams and find out. Typically the KSL programs are interviewing coaches and although that doesn't guarantee anything, its still likely better than random dad that put up his hand in TimBits.

If your kid has little interest in hockey though, I would be careful how much you push them. All little kids need some push, if you disagree - you are a shit parent. But, if they are kicking and screaming or are "meh" about it - I wouldn't put them into more than they can handle.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:27 pm Hi everyone, new hockey parent here. I have a son who is born in 2019. The landscape of minor hockey has changes drastically since my playing days. I'm a bit confused as to where I should be looking to place my son next season. We are in Durham and initially had him enrolled in our local "learn to play" program as our Centre did not have a Timbits program for his age group. We found this to be a complete waste of time, as a 50 minute ice time session at 7 a.m. turned into half an hour of bag skating and the kids being kicked off the ice ten minutes early so volunteer instructors (14-16 year old, lower level players) could take slap shots. We declined the to reregister for the winter session and have been going to stick and puck. At these skates we have been speaking with parents who plan on having their kids play in the KSL and my son has the opportunity to skate with two separate teams this spring. I have seen some of these teams practice and the talent of players and coaching seem to be excellent, especially compared to the local house leagues. I have also been told that registration for these teams can be up to $5000. My son wont be 5 until December, so this seems like a bit much.

Depending on where you are in Durham, Scarborough may be an option for you? West Hill or Ice Raiders. You'll get good value with either.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:36 pm At that age I think the most important thing is fun. You're not creating a superstar at 4 years old.
Well, obviously.

But guess what - the kids that are better at 4, are usually better at 5, and usually better at 6 and now all of a sudden they are playing on top teams with better coaching, more access to better training, etc.

Then from there, the gap keeps widening and widening. Of course nothing is guaranteed, and kids come from out of no where somewhere - but this is a game of odds and your odd of being a good hockey player at 10 or 11 years old, is increased by being one of the better kids at 5 or 6.

Don't be one of those twats that lives and dies by your kid being the absolute best and killing his love for the game before it even starts - But at the same time, to pretend it doesn't matter at all is naïve and just plain wrong.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:47 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:36 pm At that age I think the most important thing is fun. You're not creating a superstar at 4 years old.
Well, obviously.

But guess what - the kids that are better at 4, are usually better at 5, and usually better at 6 and now all of a sudden they are playing on top teams with better coaching, more access to better training, etc.

Then from there, the gap keeps widening and widening. Of course nothing is guaranteed, and kids come from out of no where somewhere - but this is a game of odds and your odd of being a good hockey player at 10 or 11 years old, is increased by being one of the better kids at 5 or 6.

Don't be one of those twats that lives and dies by your kid being the absolute best and killing his love for the game before it even starts - But at the same time, to pretend it doesn't matter at all is naïve and just plain wrong.
I disagree. The gap is not going to widen by the time they are 11 but will shorten provided the kid is not still playing house league. At 4-5 years old you don't need to have a kid playing full ice it's just too much. By the time they are 7 and can skate well it's a different story. We are playing in KSL and it's been a great experience but we have done it when our kid was 4-5 years old? Not at all. Just get him in a local house league program and get him into 1 or 2 days of power skating each week. Once he's 6 you can consider a MD program or Klevr. Klevr is great but it would be too much for a kid this age. You will find very rare instances of gaps widening and those are the handful of hockey obsessed kids who are playing up a year. With everyone else the gap will start to close and it will be the kids with the best hockey IQ as they get older who will be more successful.

Post by Guest »

If KSL is your jam just look at what those teams are doing with 2018s or 2019s right now and use that as your guideline on timing:

Young Kings: looks like they've had a 2018 group together since last Fall

Raiders: looks like they've had a 2018 group together since last Fall

Aces: looks like they are putting together their 2018 group right now

Junior Wings: looks like they have a 2019 dev program already wow... And a current 2018 spring program.

If non-KSL, then just enter U7 house league as a U6 if LTP programs aren't appealing. At that age my kids had a lot more fun playing games than just doing drills and bag skates only.

Not sure about Select options as I'm not from Durham. Good luck and hope you guys have fun.

Post by Guest »

Yes, here is some advice. 99.9% of what you see on this site is purely for entertainment value and offers plenty of "what not to do or think" situations as a hockey parent. I will say however, the responses you've received so far fall into the .1% whereby there is real value. Kudos to those people!

For the most part, this site is full of people living vicariously through their children and again, should be used primarily as entertainment and not much more.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:47 pm
Well, obviously.

My advice...stay off of here. I can already see where you are headed. He is 4, let him learn to live the game and please foe the love of God, do not bash his coaches or players in front if him. It does more damage that good. Focus on extra at some development sessions with coaches you like. With rep not happening until they are 9 or 10 now, I do see the need for more extra but at 4 years old play timbits and sit back and enjoy it. Early developed kids don't always remain at the top. A lot changes when they get to puberty