2018 when is a goalie born

2018 when is a goalie born

Post by Guest »

What signs point to a real interest in goalie?
-My kid likes to guard the mini net
-Has a natural butterfly, drop down stance
-Kinda tall for age
Thoughts?

Re: 2018 when is a goalie born

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:03 am What signs point to a real interest in goalie?
-Kinda tall for age
Thoughts?
lol honestly, wait for them to tell you. If you are in a Timbits program and they get their "turn" in goalie and they really like it - want to do it again and again.

That might be your sign see if they like it or not.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:12 am
Guest wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:03 am What signs point to a real interest in goalie?
-Kinda tall for age
Thoughts?
lol honestly, wait for them to tell you. If you are in a Timbits program and they get their "turn" in goalie and they really like it - want to do it again and again.

My kid always wanted to play net. He would always volunteer when we needed a goalie. Eventually I gave in, bought some Kijiji equipment and signed him up for some lessons. Now he’s a AAA goalie.
We let him play a couple seasons at wing and realized it wasn’t for him so we made the move because it’s what he wanted and had a natural talent for.
Tall doesn’t matter, he’s 6 and that will change over time. He just has to want it. And if he does get him into some goalie clinics to start learning how to play so he doesn’t get hurt.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:18 am
Guest wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:12 am
-Kinda tall for age
Thoughts?

My kid always wanted to play net. He would always volunteer when we needed a goalie. Eventually I gave in, bought some Kijiji equipment and signed him up for some lessons. Now he’s a AAA goalie.
We let him play a couple seasons at wing and realized it wasn’t for him so we made the move because it’s what he wanted and had a natural talent for.
Tall doesn’t matter, he’s 6 and that will change over time. He just has to want it. And if he does get him into some goalie clinics to start learning how to play so he doesn’t get hurt.
Just to clarify....tall at his age doesn't matter. Its all about interest.

However, tall does matter.

IF your kid ever wants to play goalie, even at U8 or U9, a rep team will always take the bigger goalie unless there is just a huge difference in skill. Its not a 100% rule every time, but i'd say 90% of the time. They don't have to be exceptionally tall, but they can't be "small"

Post by Guest »

Let him be a player first to develop his skating.
Then later, say 10 - 11 years old he can switch if he still wants.
My boy was a AA player then after Covid he wanted to be a goalie.
Started in A and now he's AA.
He loves being goalie.
BTW. Height doesn't matter, unless you have visions of NHL.
My boy is the smallest player on his team.

Post by Guest »

As a parent to multiple goalies (all AAA and beyond), let them learn to skate and be able to be top end contributors as skaters for a few more years. If they keep pushing you to play goalie and are also strong skaters then you'll know it's not some sort of default to fall back to and is an actual passion for them (at this age).

So much changes as kids get older, some will love the game and want to practice all the time; some will love the game for the friends they are making and not care about what level they are playing at; and some will realize they love soccer, baseball, piano or something else. Follow your kid's lead and let them take you on the journey that they want to go on.

Post by Guest »

Mine was born in 2012, was a player for his first year of IP 1(age 6) and then IP 2(age 7) made the transition to goalie because no other kid or parent wanted there kid doing it, he was also the biggest kid on the team and thought all the gear was cool, he hasn't looked back played minor and major Novice AAA was top goalie in the league, he is now U11 and I had a discussion with him that he is at the point of no return, remain at goalie and play high level or return to a player and play maybe single A or house league, give it time... he will tell you if he wants to be a goalie or not.