Coaches Commiting to a player/family and then De-Committing / cutting

Re: Coaches Commiting to a player/family and then De-Committing / cutting

Post by Guest »

I saw on another chat the 2011 Toros coach decommited to a bunch of players. Sent it on team snap. Someone posted the email. Have to try and find it.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 pm I saw on another chat the 2011 Toros coach decommited to a bunch of players. Sent it on team snap. Someone posted the email. Have to try and find it.
THis?

This email a coach sent on TeamSnap is making its rounds. One example of how the league operates and how associations are run.

[U13 Toros AA] Toros 24/25 Season

Gianluca Fuoco has sent a message on
TeamSnap.

Good evening parents,
Sending this email as unfortunately, given how the last 5 weeks have unfolded, I have been put in the position to retract all commitments that I have made up until this point.

Moving forward all players will be on a tryout basis, starting with our practice Sunday afternoon.

See everyone at tomorrows game

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:50 am
Guest wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 pm I saw on another chat the 2011 Toros coach decommited to a bunch of players. Sent it on team snap. Someone posted the email. Have to try and find it.
THis?

This email a coach sent on TeamSnap is making its rounds. One example of how the league operates and how associations are run.

TeamSnap.

Good evening parents,
Sending this email as unfortunately, given how the last 5 weeks have unfolded, I have been put in the position to retract all commitments that I have made up until this point.

Moving forward all players will be on a tryout basis, starting with our practice Sunday afternoon.

APR coaches are famous for this. Buyer beware of promises made but are retracted at a later date. In some cases a card is signed and then ripped up after the fact.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:01 pm
THis?

TeamSnap.

Good evening parents,

APR coaches are famous for this. Buyer beware of promises made but are retracted at a later date. In some cases a card is signed and then ripped up after the fact.
I think Verbal promises have always been just that... nothing binding. Either party can make a different decision.

ripping up cards is borderline insane - and there HAS to be something that can be done about that.

Post by Guest »

THis?

TeamSnap.

Good evening parents,

This happened to an APR coach last year. Goalie committed and then de-committed when a better team offered him a spot. The fact is that most people's words mean jack shyte.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:36 pm
THis?

TeamSnap.

Good evening parents,

This happened to an APR coach last year. Goalie committed and then de-committed when a better team offered him a spot. The fact is that most people's words mean jack shyte.
It does happen, but it's pretty rare at the A and AA levels. Any coach doing so will quickly get a bad reputation and will have every other parent questioning the commitment they received as well, so it can cause more problems than it solves. It's more common with players, but they run the same risk of burning bridges.

Unless a coach has this reputation, I would take them at their word, especially this time of year when they are trying to solidify their teams as much as possible before official tryouts over the next few weeks. If they do have a reputation, buyers should beware of joining the team either way. Any parent committing but still looking elsewhere should be upfront. It's not uncommon for coaches to have roster spots offered while they await news on the player this time of year.

Post by Guest »

I think the big issue is if a coach promises a spot and then retracts at a later date you may end up having a hard time finding a team as most people wouldn't be going to other teams skates if they think they have a secured spot.

Imagine being promised a spot in January and then retracted in April. Not a good situation to be in. Goes other way as well I suppose. Player decimates at late stage could make it hard for coach to fill that spot.

too much funny business going on.

Post by Guest »

Not allowed entitled idiots.

if you Not allowed the dog the past 5 weeks at work, do you think your employer will still be happy with you?

Post by Guest »

I don’t think sending that email out was the smartest move, especially if he sent that to the whole team.

I guess some coaches love drama.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:05 pm I don’t think sending that email out was the smartest move, especially if he sent that to the whole team.

I guess some coaches love drama.
Here is a novel idea. Tryouts. Remember those things?
Also, if players were locked in a region, no coach would have to make commitments. U18 is the only spot open boarders should exist. GTHL should have their boarder regions and until a kid is cut, or he moves, they are at that regions tryouts. It’s simple.
And if we don’t go there, anyone listening to a single coaches is nuts. You should always have a back up plan. Always!