OMHA vs GTHL

OMHA vs GTHL

Post by Guest »

People keep saying OMHA is not comparable to GTHL and that bottom 5 teams in GTHL can beat top OMHA teams. Is there any truth to this without any bias. Is OMHA really that bad and does the development not come close to GTHL?

Re: OMHA vs GTHL

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:15 am People keep saying OMHA is not comparable to GTHL and that bottom 5 teams in GTHL can beat top OMHA teams. Is there any truth to this without any bias. Is OMHA really that bad and does the development not come close to GTHL?
The bottom 5 G teams would lose to the best OMHA teams. Just like the G and every hockey league there are strong teams and weak teams. My kid played in both and they are interchangeable.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am
Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:15 am People keep saying OMHA is not comparable to GTHL and that bottom 5 teams in GTHL can beat top OMHA teams. Is there any truth to this without any bias. Is OMHA really that bad and does the development not come close to GTHL?
The bottom 5 G teams would lose to the best OMHA teams. Just like the G and every hockey league there are strong teams and weak teams. My kid played in both and they are interchangeable.
Top 4 GTHL teams would beat any OMHA team it happens every year in the younger age groups. GTHL totally dominant U10 - U14

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:31 am
Top 4 GTHL teams would beat any OMHA team it happens every year in the younger age groups. GTHL totally dominant U10 - U14
Maybe historically? I wouldn't be surprised if that changes over the next few years. Possibly U10 this year.

With KSL and its strength being out in the east of the city: Whitby, Ajax/Pickering, North Shore, COW (Maybe YSE)

those teams are likely going to be getting better incrementally I would think.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 am
Maybe historically? I wouldn't be surprised if that changes over the next few years. Possibly U10 this year.

With KSL and its strength being out in the east of the city: Whitby, Ajax/Pickering, North Shore, COW (Maybe YSE)

Or those centres are close enough the good kids will go to the G

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:18 am

If everyone played where they lived it would be very competitive

Post by Guest »

Ya it will stay that way for U10 and U12 like every year but then the G teams will start offering free rides to the top players and they never look back. Happens at every age group. 50%+ of the top G kids are always OMHA/Alliance/HEO kids

Post by Guest »

I think that top 8-10 gthl teams are much better than their omha counterparts, while bottom 3-4 teams will be weaker, because in omha every center tries to gather relatively competitive team adjusted to coaches kids’ friends and friends of friends. While in gthl bottom teams are not too concerned with results, they’re here to make money, so they can easily take onboard a or aa level kid if his parents are ready to provide financial support.

Dunno how things are in East, but in West Oakville, Burlington and HH will be much stronger than MM, Reps or TRW. They could have been more competitive against better teams in g, but local redneck clique, especially in HH would rather get coaches colleague son on board. Talented Asian newcomer would rather forge documents and strengthen someone like TYN rather then try to deal with local clique.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:29 am
Guest wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:18 am

If everyone played where they lived it would be very competitive
The OMHA orgs do it to themselves with garbage politics and holding kids hostage.

Post by Guest »

Coaches in the GTHL are there for themselves, not the the players. No development, just $$. That’s all they care about. Find a coach that has an actual job and coaches hockey because they love the game.